Thursday, January 05, 2006

Shotgun Marketing BLOG: Marketing Lessons from PBS

While I was over on Squidoo building a new Acai Lens , I ran into a guy being featured by Squidoo -- Chris Houchens .

Chris' marketing resume seems to be pretty impressive. Interestingly enough, he has found success with what he passionatley refers to as Shotgun Marketing. Sounds like something originating from the hills, or even the south -- but looks like he has some pretty interesting stuff to say, actually. :-)

This is a post from Chris' Blog where he actually links to a series of Frontline on PBS -- which I found kind of funny/entertaining.

LINK: Shotgun Marketing BLOG: Marketing Lessons from PBS

Snippet~

One of my core philosophies that I try to carry over in all my speaking, writing, and consulting is the idea of "non-establishment marketing". There are too many agencies and gurus who enjoy using buzzwords and wasting money rather than actually marketing. In my "non-establishment" mindset, I try to make marketing simplistic so that anybody who doesn't know what branding, cume, CPM, or even ROI means...can understand marketing principles.

But I'm a marketer...so I sometimes get caught up in the marketing lingo and "stuff everybody knows" as well. So I was fascinated by a report called "The Persuaders" on Frontline last night on PBS. The program took on the world of advertising/marketing from a truly 3rd person point of view. It was interesting to see the world of marketing dissected by an independent source who didn't have pre-conceived notions about marketing. You can watch the entire program or read the transcript on the PBS site.

My favorite portion of the program was when a market researcher was asking a subject what emotions he felt while eating white bread. Here's the interview transcript I copied from PBS....

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Houchens said...

Hi Jerry...Thanks for the spotlight to the Shotgun Marketing BLOG....

Some clarifiacation (and I guess I should actually post this on one of my sites somewhere)...In my terms, Shotgun Marketing refers to two things...
1) It started as a tribute to my then girlfriend (now wife)...as my nickname for her was Shotgun.
2) It also captures the "big picture" method in which I consult with and showcase in my speaking. I encourage people to look at the overall picture of where their marketing is going...and then move down to the details (Rifle Marketing, maybe?)

But then again, I am based in KY...so I could mean that I have a shotgun in the gunrack in a pickup truck...or maybe not...HA!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Jerry Giebeig said...

Hey Chris,

Nice to meet you.

Thank you for the clarifications.

So you know -- I am from the south myself. So the pun was directed towards my own personal adventures of growing up as an entrepreneur in the southern culture. ;-)

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home